Thursday, May 10, 2012

05/10/2012 Timing Note


The sector configuration model (the technical basis for the Mousetrap) is no longer in "Bear Market Rally" status after today's action.

XLY
Cyclicals
Bottom
XLK
Technology
Bull 1
XLI
Industrial
Bull 2
XLB
Basic Industry
Bull 3
XLE
Energy
Top
XLP
Staples
Bear 1
XLV
Services
Bear 2
XLU
Utilities
Bear 3 (Here)
XLF
Finance
Bear 4

That said, this market is impossible to micromanage. When I began the test on 5/31/2011 the sectors were already in bear market status, and went into rally mode at the end of October.
In the course of these gyrations the broad market has gone nowhere.

But neither has it crashed. We can cry that the sky is falling, but if Bernanke keeps lowering the ground, what would it matter?

I’ve been hedged for a year now. I don’t go all short on this methodology, though I’ve been tempted.

In any case, when the market forms a bottom or a top, it bounces around while institutional investors shift between bullish and bearish sectors. In the past few weeks the money has been flowing out of bullish sectors (listed above) into bearish ones. This should precede another leg down in the market, unless either the Europeans or Bernanke can pull yet one more rabbit out of their seemingly bottomless hat.

Since I'm hedged, there is no need for me to change my current positions. Actually, I'm slightly net short on some discretionary positions -- but those are not part of this model.

I'm not looking at a serious decline... yet. The chosen short position is still utilities. If that changes, it would increase the seriousness of the potential decline.

Tim


No comments:

Post a Comment